Principal: Mr. Marshall J. Zucker Assistant Principal: Mr. William Mingo Assistant Principal: Mrs. Pamela Stamidis 181 Gotham Avenue Grades: Pre-K through 6 Elmont, NY 11003 Student population: 650 Location: South of Hempstead Tpke. Faculty & staff: 98 Phone: (516) 326-5540 View map Fax: (516) 326-0563 Hours: 8:05 a.m.-2:25 p.m.
The Gotham Avenue School began operation in January of 1950. It originally had 13 classrooms. Eight rooms
were added in the 1950’s and twelve more were added in 2001. Miss Clara H. Carlson was the school’s first
principal. Geographically, it is the closest school to Belmont Racetrack, and is also very close to Hempstead
Gotham Avenue was built the same year as the Alden Terrace School. A 50th anniversary celebration was
held in 1999. A few of the original members of the faculty were in attendance. One highlight of the ceremony
was the naming of the Gymnasium for Rudy Franklin, the Physical Education teacher from 1957 to 1990,
who passed away in 1998.
Listed in each classroom is the school mission:
- A place where we never settle for less than our best
- Where each child is special
- A team that works together
- Respect, responsibility, honesty, pride, citizenship, cooperation
- Achievement, sportsmanship, equality, confidence
- A PLACE WHERE ALL STUDENTS ARE SUCCESSFUL LEARNERS
School Report Card: