Principal: Mr. William Mingo Assistant Principal: Mrs. Pamela Stamidis Assistant Principal: Mr. Robert Cavaliere 181 Gotham Avenue Grades: Pre-K through 6 Elmont, NY 11003 Student population: 650 Location: South of Hempstead Tpke. Faculty & staff: 98 Phone: (516) 326-5540 View map Fax: (516) 326-0563 Hours: 8:05 a.m.-2:25 p.m.
GOTHAM AVENUE SCHOOL
“Inspiring Excellence without Exception”
OUR SCHOOL HISTORY
HISTORY OF THE GOTHAM AVENUE SCHOOL The first cornerstone of our school was laid on June 19, 1948. The doors finally opened in February of 1949. The school had approximately 1000 students and was on split sessions (8:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.). Clara Carlson was the first principal. She was followed by Claire Davis, Henry Wicker, Norman Feingold, J. Dennis Lawlor, Rodgers Lewis, and Marshall Zucker as building principals. There have been three major additions to the original building—a permanent eight room addition in 1954, four portable classrooms installed in 1992 and a twelve classroom two floor wing was added in 2001. The building has always been proud to house some of the most dedicated and affable staff in the district. Even Matilda Cuomo, the former governor’s wife taught here for a period of time.
Would you like to know more about Gotham’s History? Click HERE!
You can find more information here!
Our mission is to maintain a safe, supportive, and nurturing learning environment that is committed to the social-emotional development and academic success of all students.
Our vision is to empower our students with the ability to become productive citizens, be critical thinkers, compete in our global society, and become lifelong learners.
- The health and safety of our students, teachers and staff is our priority. A safe orderly environment is essential to learning.
- All stakeholders should be actively involved in the educational process. Administrators, teachers, staff members, students, parents, families, community members, local business leaders, elected officials and school board members should be actively involved in the educational process of our students.
- Instruction should be data driven, addressing the concerns of the individual student. It is our job to make every effort to teach students core academic skills such as how to read, write, add, and subtract.
- Increase reading and writing in all content areas.
- Increase student participation in STEM Projects/Activities.
- Maintain Gotham’s Recognition Status.
HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS
- Social distancing will be implemented in all areas throughout the building.
- All students and staff are required to wear a mask.
- All students and staff will have their temperature taken before entering the school building.
- Regular hand washing will be scheduled throughout the day.
- Shared items and materials will be reduced and cleaned as needed.
- When possible, we will increase access to fresh air by having students participate in outdoor activities.
- Scheduled cleaning of high-touch areas will be increased.
School Report Card: